sunsetxcocktail

Progress: 32/384 pages
Flashfall
Jenny Moyer
Progress: 47/342 pages
Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass)
Sarah J. Maas
Progress: 20 %
Once and for All
Sarah Dessen
Progress: 151/400 pages
Fireblood (The Frostblood Saga)
Elly Blake
Progress: 24 %
The End of Oz
Danielle Paige
Progress: 53 %

Review: Unspeakable

Unspeakable - Abbie Rushton

I received a copy from Netgalley.

This book caught my eye immediately when browsing through Netgalley, and I'm pleased to say I loved it. After a slow start, I read the first 10% one day, and then the rest of the book another day. I just could not put it down. The story was intriguing and surprisingly emotional, exceptionally well written.

The main character, Megan, is extremely likeable and at least for me, very relatable. I could understand her pain and her frustration right away. Unable to speak due to a tragic incident Megan's life is pretty miserable. She's picked on by the bitchy popular girls a lot, and has one good friend, Luke. We learn right off something terrible happened but not what as Megan sorts through her guilt and emotions over what went on, not helped by a horrible voice in her head reiterating all her negative thoughts.

In spite of her misery Megan was a very well written, likeable character. Very realistic. The new girl Jasmine comes along and becomes Megan's friend. Jasmine is bubbly and talkative without being over the top, very pretty and a lot of fun. I love how she became Megan's friend and begins to bring Megan out of her shell.

I loved the small English town setting (and loved hearing the voices of British teens with British slang used properly without anything being over the top) Everything was handled very realistically which I found I really liked. While there wasn't much of a romance until almost well over half way through it was soft and lovely to see how the confused feelings developed into something real.

The mystery to what happened to Megan and why she can't speak isn't revealed until right at the end, surprising and sad. But it wrapped up well. I was reading during a slow afternoon at work when I'd run out of things to do and had to stop a few times because I was tearing up.

Summing up I loved this book. I can't wait to read more by this author.

Thank you to Netgalley and Little, Brown Book Group UK for approving my request to view this title.