sunsetxcocktail

Progress: 59 %

Review: The Awesome

The Awesome - Eva Darrows

Actual rating 2.5 stars.

I received a copy from Netgalley.

An amusing YA urban fantasy. Maggie is possibly one of the most crass foul mouthed teens I have come across in a long time. Its fun and so refreshing, and while most of this book did make me grin and smirk, the attitude did get a little irritating.

But it was so much fun to see a world where monsters are real and its the women who hunt them. Maggie has been brought up in this world, is totally secure with who she is in her speak first don't think don't take no shit from anyone attitude. The world building is great. The characters are fun, Maggie has a really unique bond with her monster hunter mum. Both of whom pretty much have the same attitude, though mum's is maybe toned down slightly (at least in the language department).

The plot isn't particularly complexed, a lot of it involves Maggie wanting to loose her virginity due to a reason involving hunting vampires and how they're more attracted to virgins and if she gets the pesky virginity thing out the way she can kill them more easily. (It's better than in sounds) Awkward but kind of amusing at the same time hints of a romance to come but so nice to see no insta love and no romance being the sole focus. There's trouble involving ghouls, a zombie girl and a big bad master vampire too.

A fast paced read, certainly enjoyable.

Thank you to Netgalley and Rebellion for approving my request to view the title.