Meagan Spooner
Progress: 31 %
More Than We Can Tell
Brigid Kemmerer
Progress: 72 %
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Henry Farrell
Progress: 44 %
To Kill a Kingdom
Alexandra Christo
Progress: 38 %
The Last Namsara
Kristen Ciccarelli
Progress: 200/432 pages
A Poison Dark and Drowning (Kingdom on Fire, Book Two)
Jessica Cluess
Progress: 48 %
A Local Habitation
Seanan McGuire
Progress: 116/377 pages
Stephen King
Progress: 974/1394 pages

Review: The Queen (Selection #0.4)

The Queen - Kiera Cass

This delightful short reminds me why I wound up loving the Selection (after the immense disappointment of The Heir).

This delivers exactly what it promises, an insight into how Amberly became a beloved Queen and snagged the heart of Prince Clarkson. Amberly is a lovely sweet but sickly girl (though so sweet she could rot your teeth) Clarkson is a jackass. Even then. I don't get it. But Amberly has been in love with the Prince for as long as she can remember.

She has some serious health issues, something that's touched on, and could possibly make her an unsuitable match. Clarkson does redeem himself a little when he basically tells the doctor who warns about this to go shove it. He has some horrific parents. You don't see much of the King at the time, but the Queen has a big role. And she's a right horrible bitch.

So sweet, calming Amberly comes in to soothe everyone. She's a lower caste but still manages to make everyone like her. Even for a 65 page short story some of it is gag worthy in the way everyone gushes over Clarkson and Amberly herself has more than a few eye rolling moments. But like with the original Selection novels, its silly, but its romantic and very enjoyable.

Short story square crossed off for Summer 2015 Bookish Bingo challenge.