sunsetxcocktail

Stephen King
Progress: 445/1394 pages
The Library of Fates
Aditi Khorana
Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles)
Jodi Meadows
How To Disappear
Sharon Huss Roat
Progress: 237/384 pages
Flashfall
Jenny Moyer
Progress: 101/342 pages
Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass)
Sarah J. Maas
Ryan Graudin
Progress: 17 %

Whiny McWhiner (Me)

— feeling misdoubt

I'm still having a blah month, and I think it's affecting my reading and possibly ratings as well. So I'm having a whine about it.

I mentioned in a short post last week I was having a blah month, a lot of DNFs, and very few books I seem to actually like at the moment. And I think it's getting to me more than it probably should. I'm a mood reader, it's not unsual for me to have up to 20 different books on the go. I'm a fast reader as well. Usually average about 10 or more books a month. This month I've finished 5 books. Only three out of the five I've liked. One I loved.

I think my moodiness at the moment is also affecting my reading. I have several books on the go I was really looking forward to. I DNFed Between us and the Moon last week because of one niggling thing I couldn't get past in a contemporary YA I would have otherwise really liked. Normally I don't let the little things bother me. But this one did. That bad of an issue or because I'm in a funk at the moment? I don't know.

The other books I'm struggling with are The Star Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi. A fantasy based on Indian mythology.  It's absolutely beautifully written, the mythology is fascinating, but it's also like sensory overload. The MC finds herself whisked away from an arranged marriage to a world of wonder, mysticism and magic. Also the relationship is instalove and it's not working. It's also got practically no plot to speak of. I was really looking forward to this and finding it very dull.

Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare - I'm a bit of a Shadowhunter addict, I must admit. I love the Shadowhunter world. Another book I was really looking forward to, this book is 600 pages +, I'm 200 pages in and bored as hell. Nothing is happening. I actually like the MC a lot, but there seems to be very little happening plot wise. The bones of the plot is just beginning, but....I'm still eh over the whole thing. Some of it is very well written. Other bits seem to drag. Do I really want another 300 pages or more of this? Or shall I put it aside and try it again at another time?

Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton. A weird mix of western saloon style meets eastern mythology. Desert setting with some bizarre mythology. One of the most striking paperbacks I've seen in a long time, I also had a Netgalley wish for this granted as well (after I bought the paperback, a wish I thought I would never get). I don't even know why I don't like this one. There's nothing wrong with it, per-say. I just don't like it. And it's irritating me. Because it's another Netgalley wish granted and I don't like the book.

And worst of all - The Raven King. Possibly one of my most anticipated books this year, a conclusion I've been dying for for over a year now. And I don't like it that much. The first 200 pages were a struggle and complete and utter crap compared to how good the other books were. The second half is improving, but it still just doesn't feel as good and I'm kind of disappointed. But I will most likely be finishing this one because I want to know how it ends.

Yet on the other hand, I've got really good books on the go - Flawed by Cecilia Ahern, The Problem with Forever by Jennifer L Armentrout, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. These are all really good,  one contemporary, one dystopian and one adult historical romance. I'm enjoying them a lot but it's taking me forever to get through them (and now I'm getting irritated because it's taking a long time to finish things).

I've usually got a challenge on the go, but since I finished Bookish Bingo early and haven't signed up for anymore, I wanted to clear off the Netgalley backlog I've been building and read some of the books I've purchased and wanted to read for ages. But I'm being annoyingly picky and finicky at the moment, and it's not something I usually let get in the way. My ratings are low at the moment, and I'm DNFing more than usual.

I started a bunch of different books towards the end of last week, which is sometimes what I do when I'm in a funk hoping to find something I like. I'm very tempted to DNF or put on hold all the ones I don't like and try finding some more stuff.

A bit of a self indulgent whine, I know. I don't whine about book stuff very often, especially when it's daft stuff like this,  but I needed to actually say this to maybe get it out my system.