sunsetxcocktail

Progress: 111/336 pages
These Violent Delights
Victoria Namkung
Progress: 56 %
The Heart Forger (The Bone Witch)
Rin Chupeco
Sara Holland
Progress: 114/362 pages

DNF: Rebel of the Sands

Rebel of the Sands - Alwyn Hamilton

This has to be one of the most striking physical books I've seen in a long time. I put in a wish request on Netgalley when I saw the title pop up. Never heard anything for months. A few days before release date I saw the author tweet a picture of the book in the wild. So off I went to my local Waterstones book shop and bought my own copy. Two days later my Netgalley wish was granted. Oh well.

Unfortunately, I'm DNFing this at 56%. There is nothing actually wrong with the book, the heroine is sensible and sassy, the setting is pretty unique if a little weird. Starts of with a desert based deadend western style town with a shooting contest and the heroine disguising herself as boy to enter in order to win money and aid her escape from her dull life.  The love interest I'm finding a little flat. But throughout is some unique Eastern inspired mythology filtering through the Western theme. All sorts of strange creatures that apart from being mythological seem to be part of every day life, or at least to the point where they're real and not just a story.

However, the problem is I just don't like it. There's nothing, as I said, wrong with it that I can put into words. Other than the love interest is dull and I don't get it. The actual plot is okay, it started off good, got a bit slow and now it's picking up again, but I'm bored. I think this just goes on the not for me pile.

Thank you to Netgalley and Faber and Faber for granting my wish request.