sunsetxcocktail

sunsetxcocktail

Fireblood (The Frostblood Saga)
Elly Blake
Progress: 500/976 pages
No Humans Involved
Kelley Armstrong
Progress: 213/438 pages
Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices)
Cassandra Clare
Progress: 412/688 pages
Ignite - Erica Crouch

I read an a lot of fallen angel paranormal romance/urban fantasy in both YA and adult forms, and Ignite has one of the most original mythology takes I've seen all year. Including a fresh reinvention of the Michael/Lucifer story that was impossible to put down.

Particularly engaging as told from the demon girl's point of view. Pen was a fantastic view point to read from as she started of being completely unapologetic about who she was. She was a demon and damned proud of it, she liked to kill and reap souls for the bad guys along side her twin brother. When things get more complicated and supposedly dead archangel Michael turns up and things change.

Pen is given the assignment of convincing Michael to join Hell's forces or kill him, while her twin brother goes off to help kick start a demon disease project to bring on the Apocalypse. Sounds simple enough, but of course it isn't. The story is told from Pen's view point as she tries to complete her assignment and realises things aren't black and white as they seem.

She's full of conflict regarding her own choices when she starts to fall for Michael who seems convinced there is good inside of her. As the novel progresses Pen and Michael's relationship does. The writing is descriptive and vivid and its easy to identify with Pen's inner turmoil. Even when things go hideously wrong and seem to be bleak and hopeless, I found myself routing for Pen to get it together and fix things.

It ended on a rather killer cliffhanger, so I'll definitely be looking out for the sequel. The one thing that bothered me particularly was over use of poetry and classic literature references particularly to poets like Milton, Byron, Blake, Frost. 'Paradise Lost' was quoted a lot, and Frost was quoted a lot, and several Shakespeare references. Personally, I love Shakespeare, but the poets, not so much. Might just be me, but there was too much poetry reference.

That being said, it was still a very well written book with great characters and a fresh take on the angel/demon mythology. Thank you Netgalley for approving my request to view the title.