sunsetxcocktail

Progress: 571/1394 pages
The Library of Fates
Aditi Khorana
Progress: 205/354 pages
Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles)
Jodi Meadows
Progress: 102/496 pages
The Hanging Girl
Eileen Cook
Progress: 18 %
Warcross
Marie Lu
Progress: 68/353 pages
Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass)
Sarah J. Maas
Invictus
Ryan Graudin
Progress: 30 %

Top Ten Books 2013

Throne of Glass II - Sarah J. Maas Where the Stars Still Shine - Trish Doller The Immortal Rules  - Julie Kagawa Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) - Marissa Meyer All Our Yesterdays - Cristin Terrill Ghost Trio - Lillian Q. Irwin Dead Spots - Melissa F. Olson The Silver Chain - Primula Bond Wildefire  - Karsten Knight Deadly Offer (Vampire's Promise, #1) - Caroline B. Cooney

My top book for 2013 was

Pretty good year in books for 2013. I discovered Netgalley and actually started reviewing the books I read rather than just rating them. I actually started reading book blogs and following them, and discovered some new books and new authors I might not have previously found thanks to reading the blogs.

Crown of Midnight, Sarah J Maas. I liked the first Throne of Glass book, it was good, but didn't quite jump out at me as being one of the best things I've ever read - where the second book Crown of Midnight blew me away completely. I loved every page. Loved it so much I got it in paperback as well as an ARC from Netgalley.

Where the Stars Still Shine, Trish Dollar. I'm not usually a fan of contemporary romance, but this was one I found through blogs and Twitter, and turned out to be of my favourites.

The Immortal Rules, Julie Kagawa. This one was awesome. Renewed my faith that there is Dystopian fiction as good and better than The Hunger Games. Vampires and zombies and one kick ass unbelievably brilliant main character.

Cinder, Merissa Meyer This was a book I'd been debating on whether or not I wanted to read for a while and finally decided to give it ago. I've had a mis mash of experiences with fairy tale retellings and some have been awesome and some have been dreadful. As it turned out, this was another one that blew me away.

All Our Yesterdays, Cristin Terrill. I was lucky enough to win a Goodreads giveaway for this one. I'm not usually a fan of time travel as I fear I would make too many Dr Who comparisons. I'd forgotten I'd entered this giveaway - and guess what? Another one that turned out to be awesome.

Ghost Trio - Lillian Q Irvin. This was the very first book I got from Netgalley. A gothic lesbian romance. Beautifully written, heartwrenching and very moving. I loved this one from start to finish.

Dead Spots - Melissa F Olson - I finished this before I started reviewing. I particularly liked the uniqueness of the world building with this one. The main character was a Null - something with no supernatural abilities - she stopped the supernatural abilities of the creatures around her. Made for a good, interesting character.

The Silver Chain, Primula Bond. I got this one as an invite from Netgalley. Not a fan of naive girl meets billionaire romance. Even less when it said for fans of 50 Shades (which I detested) and Crossfire (which I have no interest in). Turned out to be surprisingly...hot. Beautifully written, fascinating characters and tantalizing sex scenes. Female lead with a brain in her head and not a simpering idiot as well.

Wildefire, Karsten Knight. Every now and then I go through my to be read list and pick random books off to see if I can find them on Amazon. This was one of those. I got it used from amazon market place. Had a mixed bag of reviews, but I really liked it. Girl goes to boarding school story to find she's really an ancient goddess and so are all her friends. What I particularly liked was it used different mythology from other countries- no greek or roman gods.

And finally Deadly Offer (Vampires Promise #1) Caroline B Cooney. This is actually a re released version of an old Point Horror book called The Cheerleader. Same story, just been given a new title and modern front cover. It was one I read over and over as a teen and was pleasantly surprised to see its just as good (even though now I'm in my early 30s).

Honourable Mentions

I actually finished two trilogies this year. A plus for me. Veronica Roth's Divergent Trilogy. Something I wasn't impressed with at all in the end. But I still read all three books.  And Melissa De La Cruz's Witches of East End trilogy, which I did enjoy.

And some other books I enjoyed last year were

The Power Trip  - Jackie Collins

Silence of the Wolves, Hannah Pole

Die for Me, Until I Die - Amy Plum.

Beauty and the Wolf - Marine Myles