sunsetxcocktail

Stephen King
Progress: 445/1394 pages
The Library of Fates
Aditi Khorana
Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles)
Jodi Meadows
How To Disappear
Sharon Huss Roat
Progress: 237/384 pages
Flashfall
Jenny Moyer
Progress: 101/342 pages
Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass)
Sarah J. Maas
Invictus
Ryan Graudin
Progress: 17 %
Counting Shadows (Duplicity) - Olivia Rivers

I received a copy from Netgalley.

Very mild plot spoilers.

I'm not entirely sure how to review this one. It was only an okay book for me. I didn't outright dislike it. I particularly enjoyed the world building and the epic fantasy landscape that was created seemed quite interesting. My issue was really with the plot and the characters.

On the one hand, the story was interesting enough that I read it in one day. I read the first 24% during my lunch hour at work and read the rest when I came home. I found I didn't really connect with any of the character. Princess Faye started off quite interesting, but there were a few things about her that got on my nerves.

***possible spoiler****

She was clearly in love with her Guardian - the story focuses on her getting revenge against his killer - and he was an Angel. Angels in this book are a race looked down on, banished and mistrusted. And yet her twin brother the Prince destined to be the King is in love with a common girl and she frowns on that. If she can accept an Angel, a clear no no in their hierarchy, why is it so hard for her to accept her brother loves a common girl? This wasn't even a big plot point, something that came up in conversation between characters at the start of the book. Just something that seemed weird to me.

(show spoiler)

I found the plot dragged a bit in the middle, not a lot seemed to be happening, and during the last 20% or so the action really picks up, but even then...I don't know.

I did like for the world building though. I won't be continuing this series.

Thank you to Netgalley for approving my request to view the book. I guess in the end this book was just not to my tastes.