sunsetxcocktail

Progress: 571/1394 pages
The Library of Fates
Aditi Khorana
Progress: 205/354 pages
Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles)
Jodi Meadows
Eileen Cook
Warcross
Marie Lu
Progress: 68/353 pages
Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass)
Sarah J. Maas
Progress: 305/704 pages
The Winter Sea
Susanna Kearsley
Progress: 145/544 pages
Twisted (#1 Deathwind Trilogy) - Holly Hook

I received a copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand it's a YA paranormal with a fresh and unique idea. I liked seeing a Nebraska setting and the use of tornados. Very original in respect of how the tornado powers worked. Unfortunately I found the execution and the characters to be a little flat.

On the one hand it was very fast paced. But I Didn't really feel much of a connection to the main character Allie. She was okay, faced with a very difficult power and an incomprehensible situation she tries to handle it the best she can. She finds others like her and wants answers and a cure to his power/curse. I don't want to go into too much detail over the plot and the villain and the curse/power as that would be too many big plot spoilers.

It also seemed, to me at least, that there was also a lot of tell not show. This happened, that happened and on to the next disaster. As each twist happened the were a few times when I found it hard to suspend disbelief as a reader. Allie got whiny and annoying and while I was trying to be sympathetic towards her difficult situations each one got worse and I found myself getting less interested as the plot moved on.

There were hints of a possible love triangle to emerge but I felt no connection between Allie and the boy she meets. And then there's her best friend Tommy who comes along to help. He was a pretty decent guy.

And there were other times when the plot was quite good and the descriptions reasonably okay and the tension built in were pretty good.

Over all there was something..that didn't really work for me. So thank you Netgalley for the chance to read this title, though I'm not sure this is a series I will be continuing.