sunsetxcocktail

Strange the Dreamer
Laini Taylor
Progress: 106/532 pages
Deep Blue  - Jennifer Donnelly

I recieved a copy from Netgalley.

Mermaid books still fascinate me and this one sounded intruiging, so I put in a request via Netgalley. I very nearly gave up with it quit early on. While the world building in an under the sea landcscape was kind of fascinating, it was hard to read without comparing it to the Disney version of The Little Mermaid. It was amusing in a where is this going and is it going to be a train wreck sort of way. I found the main character and her her BFF to be very immature for princesses with responsibilities.

That being said, I struck with it, the plot picked up fairly quickly. I read the first 30% in one sitting and the rest in two sittings this Sunday afternoon. While I still think the characters are a little immature, the story became rather enjoyable and I did find it quite unique. Very creactive, I did find myself rather liking the way the under sea world building grew. I particularly liked the magic created with use of song spells. No insta love. So love triangle. So a points for that. Actually there was no romance story line, which in a way was refreshing. It was an adventure story about six mermaids who come together to defeat an ancient monster. There's kingdoms at war, and a the main charter is thrust into a leadership role she's just not ready for.

I didn't particularly like the main character Serafina much, she was whiny and annoying, though she does come into her role as the story progresses and that made her bearable. She became more likeable as the story developed. Her friend Neela sticks with her throughout while I commend her for that and coming into her own role Neela just grated on my nerves. Throughout the story they meet up with the other girls who will help defeat the prophecy and the bad guy , each with her own special power to contribute and together they are greater than the sum of their parts.

It was left at a cliffhanger and has captured my attention to admit even though I have a sort of not sure if I liked it that much or not, I like it enough to look forward to the second book.

Also another square crossed off for Book Bingo challenge. - a new to you author.

Thank you to Netgalley and Hatchette Children's Books for approving my request to view this title.