sunsetxcocktail

Progress: 32 %
Last of Her Name
Jessica Khoury
Progress: 52 %
Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle #1)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Progress: 303/480 pages
The Very Best of Caitlín R. Kiernan
Caitlín R. Kiernan
Progress: 44 %
Misery - Stephen King

I remember the movie vaguely from many years ago. It was never one of my favourite King movies, I've had the book in my iPad library for a few years. For a book challenge I'm doing I needed to read something that has been made into a movie. So something from my King collection came to mind immediately.

I liked the book better than the movie. The feeling of trapped terror is excellently done, right in Paul's head and it's impossible not to feel scared for him. To me there is nothing to feel for Annie Wilkes other than disgust for what she does and her sense of something that felt like entitlement to be able to do the terrible things she does. While there's something about Paul that, in my mind, doesn't make him the most likeable character in the world, at it's easy to indentify with him. The sheer horror of his situation, while terrifying is impossible to not read in a you know what's coming is going to be dreadful but you can't not keep reading

Which is what makes this a fantastic scary read and another reason why Stephen King is my favourite author. While his characters might not always be likeable, the draft and skill in the story telling and writing are phenomenal.

And a square crossed off for Book Bingo - has been made into a movie.