sunsetxcocktail

Stephen King
Progress: 423/1394 pages
The Library of Fates
Aditi Khorana
Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles)
Jodi Meadows
How To Disappear
Sharon Huss Roat
Progress: 237/384 pages
Flashfall
Jenny Moyer
Progress: 101/342 pages
Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass)
Sarah J. Maas
Invictus
Ryan Graudin
Progress: 17 %
Adaptation - Malinda Lo

I got a copy from Netgalley when the book was available as a 'Read It Now'

Well this one was different. I snagged a copy from Netgalley when I saw a blogger I follow on Twitter mention it was available. Especially sounded good after skimming through some reviews seeing it was YA with a very X-Files vibe (and I'm currently rewatching all my X Files so a YA book with a sci fi theme sounded perfect.)

And the book was pretty damn good. Got off to a really intriguing start and kept going. Full of action and while some of the scenes involving mysterious government and weird things happening required a lot of suspension of disbelief (particularly at the end of the book) it was still hard to put down.

Other great thing about this book was the love triangle. Right off its not hard to figure out that Reese, the female main character, has feelings for her debate team partner David, due to circumstances and reasons nothing quite happens and she's quite unsure of her feelings a lot of the novel.

But then she literally runs into a pretty girl called Amber.

And they fall for each other! Yes! Bisexual love triangle which was great to see in a YA novel.I did feel that it was very instalove after Amber was introduced and she and Reese developed feelings for each other. Though in spite of that, it was for me, one of those rare occasions where instalove actually works.

(show spoiler)

One of the characters I particularly loved was Reese's mum. Reese's mum was a great character, nice to see not an absentee parent, but one with a personality who clearly loved her daughter. Involved but not enough to be overprotective and nicely realistic too.

It was particularly interesting weave of romance and sci-fi based mystery. And while I did feel at times there were points when the plot was a little far fetched, but overall it was a fantastic read and I will now have to go and find the sequel.

And the book is set in San Francisco so crosses of a Square for Book Bingo - Set in California or Florida.