sunsetxcocktail

Progress: 108/368 pages
Reign of the Fallen
Sarah Marsh
Progress: 99/384 pages
The Glass Spare (Seventh Spare Series, Book 1)
Lauren DeStefano
It
Stephen King
Progress: 643/1394 pages
Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles)
Jodi Meadows
Progress: 68/353 pages
Godsgrave: Book 2 of the Nevernight Chronicle
Jay Kristoff
Progress: 8 %
Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass)
Sarah J. Maas
Progress: 305/704 pages
Fated (Soul Seekers, #1) - Alyson Noel

I found this book in the book section of a local supermarket several years ago. I picked it up before I read 'The Immortals' series by the same author. Cover lust - totally loved the pretty yellow cover and I'm a sucker for anything with Native American mythology. I love Native American mythology. After intensely disliking first three books in The Immortals I was probably just going to let this book sit on my shelves unread.

Then I needed a book with a yellow cover for a reading challenge so figured why not? And as it turned out, I loved this one. It was actually very nearly a five star book.

I loved the world building, and actually really liked the main character, who's had an unusual upbringing and now found herself in a completely new situation. Daire is the daughter of a Hollywood makeup artist who never went to school, moves around constantly with her mum on the job and does her schooling via some sort of Internet school. Freaky things are happening, it gets really bad and she's shipped off to live with a grandmother she's never known in a tiny town in New Mexico.

She had to adapt to a new situation, while that in itself is nothing new in YA, the world building and introduction into the mythology of the book was what made it work really well.

One thing that I felt let it down for me was the first half of the book felt over written and very long winded, lots of description and while nice...I could have done with out it. And there were more than a few times that I felt Daire suffered from the dreaded "speshul snowflake" syndrome. It didn't help that her grandmother kept enforcing that. Last of her line, very powerful, great things expected and so on. It did get a little tiresome. Also, I found the grandmother repetitive in getting her points across.

That aside, the grandmother was a pretty cool character. Most of the characters were pretty interesting, other than the typical Mean Girl crew, who just irritated me. While there was a potential love triangle, it didn't seem the focus of the plot. It didn't feel too insta lovey either.

Daire had been having dreams of the love interest long before she met him, all of which ties into the destiny and mythology plot. Don't really want to go into too much detail as too spoilery

(show spoiler)

Some of it required a certain suspension of disbelief, but it was still very enjoyable. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this goes.

And another square crossed off for Book Bingo - A yellow cover.