sunsetxcocktail

sunsetxcocktail

Once and for All
Sarah Dessen
Fireblood (The Frostblood Saga)
Elly Blake
Burning Glass
Kathryn Purdie
Progress: 298/490 pages
The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1) - Maggie Stiefvater

I flew through the first Maggie Stiefvater book I read, which was Shiver, finding it lyrical, and original. I came across the Raven Boys when I just started following bloggers, and there was a lot of buzz about the second book. Took me a while to get around to it, but I figured I'd give the first one a shot. While the blurb was mildly interesting, it just...didn't completely grab my attention.

This book was very different from Shiver. The plot and the characters were much more complex, it took a good third or more of the book before I finally got to grip with what was going on. The characters were very different as well. This book was based on psychics, magic lay lines and a welsh legend. I've read about lay lines in other witch themed books but just don't seem to get the concept of them. The magic in this novel was so much more in depth with the ley lines and the welsh legend a huge part of the story. The psychics were interesting.

I'm not recapping the plot because I think that would be too spoilery even to try to summarise)

The story was fascinating once I got into it. And again, I found it to be very original in its story telling. The writing was much more in depth, I got a good sense of story building and character development throughout. I couldn't have guessed where this one was going at all. It kept me hooked right up to the end.

I loved its differentness in taking some familiar YA concepts and turning them into something new and original. So definitely looking forward to the rest of this series.

And a square crossed off for Book Bingo challenge - birds on the cover.