sunsetxcocktail

Burning Glass
Kathryn Purdie
Progress: 213/490 pages
Matched - Ally Condie

Turned out to be better than I had anticipated. I had avoided this particular book for ages as it seemed to be to be a rip off of Lauren Oliver's Delirium. The plot seemed very similar. I have Delirium in my iBooks library but after trying a few times I've never got more than two chapters in.

Matched got my attention right away. While the plot itself is very very slow till almost the end of the book what I found really fascinating about this novel was you actually get to see the way these people live in their so-called perfect Society, you get a feel of what every day life is like. Before the heroine realizes its all wrong and has to make everything right again.

In this Society the people in charge determine at 17 your Match for life, your perfect partner. When the main character Cassia has her match, she's delighted at the result, but the next day goes to view her result again, and there's a glitch, a different face. Of course she'd told its a mistake...but everything unravels from there.

Its well done in the fact that its not out right instalove when Cassia sees the second boy. It's a very slow build romance. And the guy she had been Matched with turns out to be a pretty damn right decent guy too.

Its very engrossing reading learning as Cassia figures out her place in the Society, torn between wanting to believe in the values this has taught her and the secrets that she's learning about other things (the world as we know it now, past to them) and where her heart and her loyalties lie.

It is a little slow going in the plot, but definitely worth a read and I look forward to finding out where this trilogy is going.