sunsetxcocktail

Stephen King
Progress: 445/1394 pages
The Library of Fates
Aditi Khorana
Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles)
Jodi Meadows
How To Disappear
Sharon Huss Roat
Progress: 237/384 pages
Flashfall
Jenny Moyer
Progress: 101/342 pages
Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass)
Sarah J. Maas
Invictus
Ryan Graudin
Progress: 17 %
Scorched (HarperImpulse Urban Fantasy) - Erica Hayes

I received a copy from Netgalley.

I went through many different reactions when reading this book from OMG so awesome! to this is like a cartoon for grownups to this is so so bad...actually no its so bad its good to WTF was that plot twist?

In the end while my views changed I did really enjoy the novel. It was a great plot with a fantastic range of characters from good to bad. Particularly well done in the fact that the main character was completely flawed and not a perfect superhero. She had so many complexes it was impossible to know what was going on with her. And the plot twisted so many times. I really liked her.

I did think a lot of the time some of the dialogue, particularly from the villains was a bit clichéd and cartoony along the lines of "we're so bad, we're so evil, humanity is rotten, we're going to kick your asses and rule!" type thing. It did induce a lot of eye rolling.

That being said the word building was complex and densely layered and so so clear and easy to picture. Its urban fantasy with superheroes. Code names, costumes, superpowers, good guys vs bad guys, billionaire companies with secret identities, political candidates who aren't what they seem. Nothing particularly original plot wise for a superhero story. But oh so much fun as it was done so well and completely unpredictable plot wise.

The narrative was well written and engaging and could twist unexpectedly with a punch to the gut. So many twists and turns.

I did really enjoy reading this book. So a huge thanks to Netgalley and HarperImpulse for granting my request to view the title.

Also crosses off a square for my Summer Bingo reading challenge - Starts with S U M E R in title. This book started with a 'S'