sunsetxcocktail

sunsetxcocktail

Once and for All
Sarah Dessen
Fireblood (The Frostblood Saga)
Elly Blake
Kathryn Purdie
Progress: 298/490 pages

Review: The Diviners

The Diviners - Libba Bray

I wasn't sure what I expected when going into this one, I blame my Boardwalk Empire obsession that makes me fascinated with anything prohibition era related, YA novel with a New York setting in that era in time was an automatic must have for me.

I loved the setting, and for the most part I loved the book. I was certainly not expecting it to be so creepy and rather disturbing. The flow of the narrative was very captivating, and I loved all the different plots and characters, wondering how it was all going to wind together. It was creepy, but addicting.

I wasn't expecting a serial killer with a supernatural twist and some rather disturbing crime scenes. The investigations were well done without being too unbelievable.

What made it drag a little for me, and knocked it down from a five star rating to a 3.5 were two things. One - Evie. I could not stand Evie. She pissed me off to no end. She was faintly amusing at first, I liked her spunky attitude, but it grew very grating very quickly. And her constant over use of flapper slang drove me up the wall by the end of the novel. The other thing that annoyed me was the final reveal of Jericho's secret. I spent most of the book really liking his character, but when his secret was revealed, it was like...really? Oh come on, that's just getting silly. And the ending made me particularly dislike Evie. She was holding her own quite well when faced with the real supernatural threat that had been plaguing the novel, but the last chapter spoiled anything I might have come to like about the character again.

Turns out it did come into play a little more at the end of the book and I have a feeling might turn out to play a part in the next book.

I absolutely loved the story line between Theta and Memphis, they were my favourite characters. There isn't really much I can say about the story line that wouldn't be spoilery for the plot.

While some of it annoyed me, I do think over all it was a really good book and am definitely hoping there is another one to come.