sunsetxcocktail

Kathryn Purdie
Progress: 213/490 pages

Review: Alice in Zombieland

Alice in Zombieland - Gena Showalter

I have to admit I was expecting an Alice in Wonderland retelling here where a modern day Alice falls into Wonderland and gets caught up in something involving zombies.

Which wasn't what I got at all. I got a high school girl called Alice who fights zombies with a crew of hot boys and a few kick ass girls. While it wasn't what I thought it would be, I certainly did enjoy it. I loved Alice's spunkiness, I loved the style of the writing, and even the antagonistic push and pull between Alice and hot bad boy Cole. The style of writing reminded me a lot of Jennifer L. Armentrout's Lux series, Alice and Cole reminded me very much of Katie and Daemon (who I also loved). I also really liked Alice's friend Kat who was flippant and attitudey but impossible not to love. She was loyal to a fault no matter what.

Also, Alice's grandparents. Alice is sent there after a tragic accident, they take her in and look after her, they really care without being pushy and try to be involved and to get down with teen language (which was funny) and nice to see caring parental figures which doesn't often happen in YA books.

Not really going into plot details here as that would be very spoilery. I thought the world building was good, believable. And nice and creepy in parts with good characters, strong voices and a great narrative.

Not what I thought but certainly a lot of fun. Also crosses off a square for Holiday Bingo - Black Cover