sunsetxcocktail

sunsetxcocktail

Fireblood (The Frostblood Saga)
Elly Blake
Progress: 500/976 pages
No Humans Involved
Kelley Armstrong
Progress: 213/438 pages
Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices)
Cassandra Clare
Progress: 412/688 pages

Review: The Elite

The Elite - Kiera Cass

I don't know what it is about this series that keeps me glued to it. I don't actually like most of the characters (except Maxon and Marlee) but once I start one of these books I get absorbed in it completely no matter how much I want to yell at the characters for being idiots.

The storytelling is absolutely captivating, I read this book in two sittings, almost half in one evening and finished it in another sitting a few days later. The plot in this one seems to advance a little from the first one. 6 girls now remain and the competition for Maxon's attention has heated up. Celeste is still the biggest bitch ever, the other contestants are nice but dim and America is still one of the most annoying Mary Sue's I've come across in a long time. It drives me up the wall how much everyone seems to like to remind her she's the lowest caste, yet she's clearly the smartest and the prettiest and the strongest and the nicest without even realising it. (Barf!)

Also America and Aspen are utter idiots in this instalment, especially after something terrible that happens

to someone else for doing the same thing they're doing - sneaking around and having (or trying to have) a relationship when you're supposed to be there to win the Prince's heart is a big giant no-no. And I actually agree on that. What happened as a result of the two people who were caught was utterly appalling, and of course our erstwhile Lady America is the only one who strenuously objects. Good for her in that case. But then she goes right back to sneaking around with Aspen. Its a huge WTF????

(show spoiler)

Despite my dislike for the characters, I do absolutely love the writing and the world building.  Though I would like to know a little more about the rebels, they have the potential to bring a whole new interesting level to the story but there doesn't seem to be much going on with them other than making their presence known and scaring the Palace.

I did enjoy it and have now started the next one. Also crosses off square for Holiday Bingo Challenge -  a red cover.