sunsetxcocktail

Kathryn Purdie
Progress: 213/490 pages

Review: Nightbird

Nightbird - Alice Hoffman

I received a copy from Netgalley.

I glanced at the first page of this book on Saturday and then started reading it during my lunch hour at work, if I hadn't had to stop to go back to work I would have finished the whole thing in one sitting. I just absolutely loved this delightful middle grade book. I don't read a lot of middle grade fiction. and I think when I first put in a request for this title I thought it was a YA book. Either way, it was just wonderful.

The story is one of a young girl named Twig who lives in a seemingly normal town with strange occurrences. There's some fantastic magical realism wound into a very moving story about friendship, family and love. I must be coming more of a softie for family togetherness novels because this is the second book along those lines I finished (magical realism with a family theme) that has made me cry at the end.

A delightful cast of characters, Twig was so easy to identify with and understand. Her family has secrets, she's a really nice girl but due to the secrets she has to keep often finds herself ignored and alone. Until a new family moves into town. There's family history discovered, a cast of colourful small towns people, a curse and a love story for the teen characters in the book.

Beautifully written characters, and utterly absorbing storytelling. While the story itself was a little predictable, it was still completely engaging. And yes, I am having a total gush fest for how much I loved this book. A very uplifting read.

A huge thanks to Netgalley and Simon & Schuster UK for approving my request to read this title.