sunsetxcocktail

Laini Taylor
Progress: 106/532 pages

Review: Grave Mercy

Grave Mercy - Robin LaFevers

I snagged a copy from Netgalley when this was available as a 'Read it Now'.

I liked it so much I bought the entire trilogy in paperback before I had even finished the first book.

This is one of those hyped up books that I see enthused over time and time again, and its never really caught my eye. The assassin nun's maybe got my interest, but the historical aspects always seemed a little daunting to me. I got it on ibooks when it was a freebee but never read it. Then saw it on Netgalley and figured what the hell. I'd give it a shot.

And turns out I really liked it. Its a totally different style of book than the high fantasy I usually like. This one focused a lot more on the historical side of things. While it took a while to get my head around the court politics, who was on whose side, who was a traitor, where the plot was actually going...it turned out to be quite absorbing and fascinating.

The barely there romance was also very intriguing as I kept wanting to know where is this going, and had more than a few...JUST KISS ALREADY!!! moments. I loved Ismae's character. She was just incredible. I loved how her character developed throughout and I loved the idea of the Saint of Death and the convent of nuns training to be assassins. Duval was an interesting match for Ismae as I was never quite sure where his loyalties lay. He was another one who's growth throughout the novel bloomed.

The historical side was more absorbing than I thought it would be, quite interesting as well. I loved how it mixed in Isame and her devotion to her Saint and her convent, and how she learned to deal with matters of the heart as well.

Looking forward to the next book in the series.