sunsetxcocktail

Progress: 24 %
Girls of Paper and Fire
Natasha Ngan
Progress: 10 %
A Discovery Of Witches (All Souls, #1)
Deborah Harkness
Progress: 537/688 pages
The Towering Sky
Katharine McGee
The Arsonist
Stephanie Oakes
Progress: 209/493 pages
Toil & Trouble: 16 Tales of Women & Witchcraft
Tehlor Kay Mejia, Tristina Wright, Emery Lord, Andrea Cremer, Tess Sharpe, Jessica Spotswood, Brandy Colbert, Robin Talley, Anna-Marie McLemore, Zoraida Córdova, Brenna Yovanoff, Nova Ren Suma, Shveta Thakrar, Kate Hart, Lindsay Smith
Progress: 205/405 pages
Emily Skrutskie
Progress: 16 %

Review: Uninvited

Uninvited - Sophie Jordan

The world building in this dystopia is one of the more brutal that I have come across. Its a bit like a YA version of Minority Report. In this world people are be coming more and more violent and a pressured government is trying to figure out ways to stop it. A certain gene type has been identified that will tell you whether that person is capable of being a killer. Everyone is tested, and people who have the Kill Gene are pretty much outcasts in the eyes of society.

The heroine in this one, Davy, is a spoiled, privileged musical prodigy with a perfect life. About to graduate, with a gorgeous boyfriend and the same best friend she's had since childhood. Personality wise, Davy is about as interesting as dry toast. But things take a rapid turn for the worst when she discovers she has this Kill Gene in her and her world turns upside down.

Friends and boyfriend turn on her, she's taken from her regular classes and thrown into complete disarray. This should make her a more interesting character. But she was so weak and pathetic, and just whined and cried about it. Granted, given she had a horrific shock and the treatment  she got after her friends found out about the kill gene carrier thing was appalling. She has moments of temper where she tries to stand up for herself. To be fair, she's determined to still graduate and not be defined by her new status.

But her former friends don't make it easy. Throughout the books there are snippets and chapters of reports, conversations between the friends, government reports, emails, text messages and things showing just how horrible these kill gene people are treated. Some people as shown in the novel with the gene are pretty horrible people. Then there's people like Davy who appear relatively normal. I'm not sure what it was about Davy, but I just found it very very hard to be sympathetic towards her.

And of course there's a love interest, Sean, another kill gene carrier, mysterious but seems to always manage to be there to save Davy when she gets herself into trouble. The romance angle was annoying and nothing really happened until right at the end then it felt rushed and was irritating.

To be fair, though in the latter half of the book, Davy finally gets herself in a situation where she realises she is not going to be weak any more and steps it up to make herself stronger. (Though to me it was very reminiscent of the Dauntless training in Divergent). Of course there are sinister reasons for it and an incident that shakes Davy to the core.

It wasn't terrible, despite my dislike of the main character, the world building and the plot itself was actually pretty compelling.

However, once you're done with the book's cliffhanger, you then get a 'Dear Reader' letter from the author. That 'dear reader' letter knocked it down a star for me. Basically the author seems to be preaching about how the world in Uninvited could actually happen and how what happened to Davy could happen to any girl. The message of the reader letter was I think not to be defined by the labels placed on you. The message itself was not a bad one, but I did not at all like the stupid preachy way it was said. It left a sour taste in my mouth I could have done without.