sunsetxcocktail

Progress: 108/368 pages
Reign of the Fallen
Sarah Marsh
Progress: 99/384 pages
The Glass Spare (Seventh Spare Series, Book 1)
Lauren DeStefano
It
Stephen King
Progress: 643/1394 pages
Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles)
Jodi Meadows
Progress: 68/353 pages
Godsgrave: Book 2 of the Nevernight Chronicle
Jay Kristoff
Progress: 8 %
Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass)
Sarah J. Maas
Progress: 305/704 pages

Review: Wandering Wild

Wandering Wild - Jessica Taylor

I snagged a copy from Netgalley when this was available as a 'Read It Now'.

I found this one kind of dull. The idea was an intriguing one, interesting to see a YA heroine with a completely different lifestyle than that of the high school girl you usually see. Tal is a Wanderer, part of a moving caravan of gypsies who never stay in one place.

Until they camp in a certain town and a scam goes awry on an intriguing boy named Spencer who changes Tal's outlook on things. Should have been interesting, but I found the whole thing very flat. I just couldn't connect with any of the characters. Mainly I think because I just simply can't get on board with a bunch of people who break the law and scam people out of their hard earned money. It just didn't sit well with me.

Tal's rebelliousness didn't do anything for me, Spencer was nice enough if a little bland. Tal's younger brother was sweet and so was their relationship and how she refused to leave him behind no matter what and I liked how they always found each other and stood up for each other.

Another thing that bothered me was the whole arranged marriage thing. Tal was promised to another gypsy boy Felix many years ago and he's now grown up and come to claim his bride. She can get out of the arrangement if she pays back the money that was paid for her arrangement.

The whole thing of her working towards that goal while falling for Spencer and having her entire belief system changed and yet at the same time trying to say true to who she was...again...just felt flat. There was some mildly interesting bits as well about Wanderer mythology and belief system in omens and stuff.

In the end this book was just not to my taste.