sunsetxcocktail

sunsetxcocktail

Once and for All
Sarah Dessen
Progress: 53/400 pages
Fireblood (The Frostblood Saga)
Elly Blake
Diana Gabaldon
Progress: 500/976 pages

Review: Inland

Inland - Kat Rosenfield

Initially when I started this book I was very intrigued by the premise. Not like anything I've read before. Maybe its because I read the first 25 pages or so, and nearly a month before I picked it up again, but when I started it again, by page 90 I didn't have a clue what the hell was going on.

There was a lot of almost dream like, mystical talk about the main character, Callie's dead mother and the call of the sea. Callie was a sickly girl who had terrible lung problems the further away from the sea she got it seemed. Back to the sea, she starts becoming normal again and having a normal life - going to school, developing a romance, inadvertently pissing off the school's mean girl - every day teenager things.

I found it very slow and at times very very boring. I just didn't connect to Callie at all or really feel anything for what she was going through. All along with some nonsense about the sea. It was all very cryptic and half the time I didn't know if she was dreaming or making it up or what. Then again, other times the plot was quite captivating. Like Callie's relationship with Ben who she meets on her first day at a new school and the friends she makes.

She seems very distant and unapproachable, full of secrets I'm not sure if there was a paranormal element to. The under lying sea things all seemed to point to some sort of mythical sea creature - selkies or mermaids - but nothing really was ever explained. In the sea, or river by her house, and one time in the high school pool, Callie's personality seems to drastically change and bad things happen.

Particularly towards the end, the writing was moving. But I just didn't like the character and there was too much left open ended for my tastes. An interesting idea I guess, but in the end this book was just not to my taste.