sunsetxcocktail

Progress: 101/448 pages
Freed by Flame and Storm
Becky Allen Martin
Progress: 18 %
A Poison Dark and Drowning (Kingdom on Fire, Book Two)
Jessica Cluess
Stephen King
Progress: 731/1394 pages

Review: The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer

The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer - Laxmi Hariharan

I received a copy from Netgalley.

Not for me. Unfortunately DNFing at 27%. The idea of this one got my attention immediately. Diverse books FTW! POC main character, and set in Bombay? This was a must have for me. The description of the setting is beautifully vivid. Very well written and easy to picture and feel like you're right there.

My problem with this book was I simply could not stand the main character, Ruby. Her attitude was grating and got very tiring and irritating very quickly. She has some obvious anger issues, which she readily acknowledges and appears at least to be doing something to control them. Until a strange incident occurs and things rapidly take a turn for the different.

Ruby's attitude takes a turn for the worse as well, her anger issues start to get out of control. She's also very contradictory in her behavior as well. And it just got on my nerves.

At one point she saves a girl from an incident on the train tracks, then actually slaps the girl cause the girl is crying too much (in her opinion), a short while later she steals someone's motorbike whilst running off like a mad thing and thinks its perfectly acceptable, and then the next thing she's talking some guy from jumping off a bridge. At the same time going on and on about how different she is.

(show spoiler)

I was just shaking my head at it. And totally unimpressed. And this is all before the 30% mark. Urg. No. I don't like this character at all and really don't care in the slightest about what happens to her. Therefore DNFing.

I would certainly read something by this author again, but this particular book is no for me.

Thank you to Netgalley and Cameron Publicity & Marketing Ltd for approving my request to view the title.