sunsetxcocktail

Viper
Ray Hogan
Progress: 102/400 pages
Revelations 12:12
Scituate Historical Society;John J. Galluzzo;David Ball;Fred Freitas;Carol Miles
Progress: 18 %
Chelsea Pitcher
Progress: 31 %

Review: Gone With the Wind

Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell

The classic square for my Spring Book Bingo challenge was the one that worried me most because I am just not a classic reader. Classics don't interest me and I was racking my brain trying to think of something to read for this square.

Gone with the Wind is one of my favorite movies. I have a paperback copy of the book I tried to read once (somewhere in a box in the loft) but didn't get past the first few chapters. I got a kindle copy and figured I'd give it a shot, even if it did take me a long time to get through.

The second time I tried reading it, I found myself loving it. The setting is fascinating, and I loved the history woven in. Though the characters leave little to be desired. This is one of the most incredible books I have ever read, and yet by about half way through I found myself utterly detesting Scarlett O'Hara.

While I admire her stone cold practicality, she's just so awful and obnoxious it becomes very grating. Though given the circumstances, the absolute horrors of the Civil War and Reconstruction, its easy to understand where she's coming from. Her determination to see herself through the hard times and make sure she never suffers through anything like it again. Its hard work and almost impossible to imagine going through anything like it. Its so vividly written it makes the fact that Scarlett is such an unlikable bitch  easier to handle.

And then there's wonderful characters like Melanie and the oh-so swoon worthy Rhett Butler who make the whole thing worth while. Melanie is still the best character in the book. Her absolute loyalty and her calm manner, her utter selflessness is just amazing. Rhett Butler is a jackass, but manages to do in a way that still makes him incredibly desirable. The push and pull of his relationship with Scarlett is ridiculously entertaining and I do so love it when he puts her in her place. The ending was heartwrenching.

I'm glad I finally read the whole thing.

Square crossed off for Spring Bingo - Classic.