sunsetxcocktail

Emily X.R. Pan
More Than We Can Tell
Brigid Kemmerer
Progress: 25 %
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Henry Farrell
Becky Allen Martin
Progress: 31 %

Review: Compulsion

Compulsion - Martina Boone

I love a good southern gothic mystery complete with magic and romance, and the premise of this book got my attention right away when I was browsing on Amazon. I bought it immediately, (though must admit it’s been on my shelf for over a year) and finally got around to reading it when I needed something set in Southern USA for a reading challenge.

As it turned out, I absolutely loved this book. Captured my attention right from the start, with its characters and unique plot. Though I did get a bit confused every now and then as to what the connections where between the three families and how everyone tied together. Steeped in history, magic and intrigue the plot was fantastic.

MC, Barrie has a unique ability of being able to find things and not being able to rest until things are found, which leads her to being dragged into a plot by her cousin to help find the cousin’s lost family fortune. There’s all kinds of reasons why this is a very very bad idea, according to handsome neighbour and new boyfriend Eight (who has his own unique ability and twisty turny history with the cousin’s family) but Barrie’s compulsion to find things always seems to win. There’s a ton of drama, swoony swoony romance. And some brilliant family history going back to Civil War days.

An absolutely beautifully written paranormal angle as well, involving some breath taking description, though some tough and uncomfortable history to swallow.

Completely captivating and brilliant book.