sunsetxcocktail

Amy Plum
Daughter of the Burning City
Amanda Foody
Progress: 56/384 pages
The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die)
Danielle Paige
Diana Gabaldon
Progress: 350/976 pages

Review: The Winner's Kiss

The Winner's Kiss (The Winner's Trilogy) - Marie Rutkoski

I received a copy from Netgalley.

Finally, a book in the series I actually loved. Best book in the trilogy for this reader. I liked the first two, they were never my favourite fantasy series, but after the cliff hanger at the end of the second book I was dying to know what happened next. So imagine my delight when I got almost immediate approval on my Netgalley request and started reading right away.

I was captivated by this one immediately.  Maybe because the plot wasn't quite so complex and all over the place as I thought with the previous books, it was beautifully written, very clear and easy to picture. Rather dark as well, though very compelling and quite possibly the first time I actually started liking Arin and Kestrel as main characters and not wanting to throttle the pair of them. Very deep emotions worked in, some truly epic and surprisingly brutal battle scenes.

Spoiler but something I need to mention because it seemed weird to me.

I would have thought with such detailed and brutal battle scenes, and especially being the last book in the series at least one or more of the main cast of characters should have died.  Kind of surprising considering the emotional upheaval.

(show spoiler)

The emotional aspect was gut wrenching and I did find that there was a tremendous amount of character growth shown by both Arin and Kestrel in their final struggles but finally, this instalment had me cheering them on. I even got a bit teary towards the end. Brilliant, brilliant conclusion. I have them all in hard cover with the epic pretty dress covers. After finishing the last book, it kind of made me want to read it all again from start to finish.

Huge thanks to Netgalley and  Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK & ANZ) for approving my request to view the title.