sunsetxcocktail

Progress: 101/448 pages
Freed by Flame and Storm
Becky Allen Martin
Progress: 18 %
A Poison Dark and Drowning (Kingdom on Fire, Book Two)
Jessica Cluess
Stephen King
Progress: 731/1394 pages

Review: You Were Here

You Were Here - Cori McCarthy

I received a copy from Netgalley.

I got this through one of those read now for the first 500 member emails. I must admit I went into it knowing very little about it, other than a glance at the blurb. Unfortunately, this book was not for me at all. Just didn't like it.

The story did nothing for me and I couldn't connect to any of the characters. It wasn't like it was terribly written or anything and had an interesting premise. It tells the story of a teenage girl and her friends coping with the death of the heroine's older brother who was a dare devil and died in an accident whilst doing a stunt of some sort. He left a journal of all sorts of weird places - mostly abandoned - and the sister and her friends try to find these places each dealing with their grief and their own problems in different ways. I found the characters irritating and very melodramatic. Didn't like any of them.

Also, some of it was told in graphic novel format and other chapters were one page drawings or artwork. I am not a fan of graphic novels, really. If I had known that, I would have never started this book. I found it annoying and it jarred the narrative. I would certainly try something by this author again, this particular book just didn't work for me at all.