sunsetxcocktail

Kathryn Purdie
Progress: 213/490 pages

DNF: Spontaneous

Spontaneous - Aaron Starmer

I received this book through an offer from Penguin's First to Read. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me and I'm DNFing and just over 100 pages.

It was on my August release list, interesting idea, a small town with high school aged kids randomly exploding and a very snarky protagonist. My biggest issue with the book was the voice of Mara the main character. It was kind of crass, very blunt and snarky. Usually I like this kind of humour, and this kind of character. While the tone does have a fairly believable teenage POV on something very weird happening, and I can even understand where Mara's coming from. However, she does waffle a lot.

In the end, there was something about the narrative simply wasn't doing it for me, and I found myself rolling my eyes a lot whilst reading those first 100 pages or so. It was kind amusing at first,  but at least for me it was the type of humor that gets very tiring very quickly.

100 pages in and I'm bored, after reading some spoilery reviews over on Goodreads and seeing where this is going, I'm not interested in spending more time reading this.

Thank you to Penguin First Reads, but this one wasn't for me.