sunsetxcocktail

sunsetxcocktail

Once and for All
Sarah Dessen
Progress: 53/400 pages
Fireblood (The Frostblood Saga)
Elly Blake
Diana Gabaldon
Progress: 500/976 pages

DNF: Blame

Blame - Simon Mayo

I received a copy from Netgalley.

This was a case of it sounded like a good idea at the time. I do actually like dystopias, though they are very samey in terms of basic plot and characters. The plot is usually some horrible form of government has taken over a broken world with hard, harsh rules and a headstrong heroine who will take them all on and bring it down. Some work well, some don't. Unfortunately, this particular title didn't work for me at all.

For starters, there's a long list of slang words at the front of the book, which immediately annoys me. Made up words can either work or don't, depending on the book and the context, but a huge list at the front of the book? That's an immediate eye roll and a nope for me. I did give it a try.

The idea of this particular dystopian is a society where the children are blamed for the crimes of their parents. This must have sounded interesting when I requested the book, but on actually starting to read it, it didn't sound particularly interesting at all. The heroine is doling out her own form of justice to some bullies in the first scene, and its made clear that she's doing something against the rules and has to be back wherever she's got to be ASAP. She lives in some sort of prison with her adorable brother and her adoptive parents. There's a horrible guard who seems to have it out for this particular girl.

I made it to 9% but I know already this one is not for me and I have no desire to finish it.

Thank you to Netgalley and Penguin Random House UK Children’s for the opportunity.