sunsetxcocktail

Progress: 32/384 pages
Flashfall
Jenny Moyer
Progress: 47/342 pages
Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass)
Sarah J. Maas
Progress: 20 %
Once and for All
Sarah Dessen
Progress: 151/400 pages
Fireblood (The Frostblood Saga)
Elly Blake
Progress: 24 %
The End of Oz
Danielle Paige
Progress: 53 %

DNF: Beasts Made of Night

Beasts Made of Night - Tochi Onyebuchi

I received a copy from Penguin First to Read.

I used some of my points to secure a copy of this one. I was quite looking forward to it. While it's not bad, at 187 pages, I've come to the point where I just don't care anymore. The concept is quite fascinating. In this Nigerian inspired fantasy, the hero Taj is an Aki, a Sin Eater. The Royal Family of the fictional city of Kos are supposed to be pure and free of sin, sin comes in the form of Sin Beasts which the Aki consume and absorb into their skin in the form of tattoos. Interesting enough.

But there was something off about the plot and the execution of the story. I can't say I felt particularly attached to any of the characters. The world building was interesting enough but the writing was kind of flat. And the plot seemed to jump from one thing to the next. There was a barely there romance that felt way too insta-lovey for my liking. He meets with a princess once or twice and then he's fascinated with her. Understandable, but again, there was something that just wasn't there to make it work for me.

It's getting to the point where I'm not looking forward to finishing, and as I said early, I'm bored with and don't care enough to find out how its end. There is definite potential in the writing and as I said the world building was interesting and quite unique. While this book was not for me I would certainly be interested in seeing more from this author.