sunsetxcocktail

Progress: 199/400 pages
What the Woods Keep
Katya de Becerra
Progress: 28 %
The Wicked Vampire (Last True Vampire series)
Kate Baxter
Progress: 30 %
Kingdom of Ash
Sarah J. Maas
Progress: 602/992 pages
The Towering Sky
Katharine McGee
Progress: 23 %
Children of Blood and Bone: The OrÏsha Legacy (Children of OrÏsha)
Tomi Adeyemi
Alma Katsu
Progress: 198/384 pages

Review: Blood Will Out

Blood Will Out - Susan Treggiari

I received a copy from Netgalley.

I remember very little about this book, other than I really hated it.

And was really disappointed because I was really looking forward to it as well. The weird title caught my eye when browsing on Netgalley, Pitched on the Netgalley page as ‘Silence of the Lambs’ for YA readers, that got my attention immediately as Silence of the Lambs is one of my all-time favourite movies.

Unfortunately for me, this book was just awful. Every serial killer cliché in the book. And an annoying heroine. The writing didn’t grab my attention and everything about it was very mediocre and boring. I wasn’t immersed in the mystery, after the first 20% or so I was quick reading and skimming just to know what the hell was going on.

To be fair at least when the novel starts the girl who’s the victim, Ari wakes up to find herself trapped in an empty cistern. Her panic is believable, and she is actually fairly resourceful in trying to figure out how to get out of there.

The narrative chapters flash back and forth between Ari waking up in the cistern and remembering what happened earlier that day trying to figure out what happened and who put her there. There’s also eye rollingly clichéd chapters from the killers point of view – the killer is isolated, has potentially abusive parents, forced to work hard on a farm, discovers very early on in life cruelty to small animals which is horribly depicted.

From then on, it gets kind of stupid and really boring.

The characters have no redeeming features, there was nothing outstanding about any of them. There was a twist when the true killer was revealed I actually didn’t guess. There’s quite a few red herrings thrown in as Ari goes through her suspect list, which should have been kind of obvious. Too bad the rest of the killer’s point of view were tropes so done and overused.

Just can’t really think of anything positive to say about this book really. Or anything much at all to say really. Not for me.

Thank you to Netgalley and Penguin Random House Canada for approving my request to view the title.