sunsetxcocktail

Kathryn Purdie
Progress: 213/490 pages

Review: Midnight Crossroads

Midnight Crossroad - Charlaine Harris

I received a sample from Netgalley and purchased a copy from Amazon.

I got all excited when I saw this up on Netgalley, gave the blurb a quick read through and pretty much thought...ooh new Charlaine Harris book. Want want want!!!! Apparently I misread the info on Netgalley and when I started reading what I downloaded and thought was the full version I was rather annoyed to find out it was just a sample. But by then I had read enough to have my curiosity piqued and purchased the full book.

The full book turned out to be well...boring. Very disappointing. I usually enjoy small town mysteries, but this was so tedious, it became very annoying very fast. This book had a wonderful cast of characters, each seemed to have something mysterious about them. The plot however, was very dull and slow and seemed to be most of these characters going about daily life in the little strange town they lived in. What was particularly annoying was that there was enough of a mystery that kept me reading to finish it. More questions than answers and nothing actually answered until the very end.

The reveal of what was actually happening was like...huh? There wasn't much of a hint of it in the story. It felt like....okay we need a killer so let's put in something that will throw the reader completely off. I'm sure it was all plotted and thought out carefully and there probably was foreshadowing somewhere and I missed it.

But by the half way through point I just wanted the book to be over and done with. I love Charlaine Harris and will eagerly be on the look out for more books by her, she's one of my favourite authors, but this one didn't work for me.