sunsetxcocktail

sunsetxcocktail

Fireblood (The Frostblood Saga)
Elly Blake
Progress: 500/976 pages
No Humans Involved
Kelley Armstrong
Progress: 213/438 pages
Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices)
Cassandra Clare
Progress: 412/688 pages

Review: Antigoddess

Antigoddess - Kendare Blake

I read Anna Dressed in Blood by the same author last year, and wasn't really all that impressed with it, so was a little wary of this one, but figured, what the hell. I'd give it a shot. So glad I did because it turned out to be one of the best YA books with the Greek Mythology theme that I've ever read.

I've read a handful of YA books based on Greek myth, and most of them have not been very good at all.  This book blew me away. Got my attention right from the start. The plot was completely engaging.  There was a definite gore factor in the story as well, it was certainly not a paranormal romance. It was harsh at times, and disturbing, but exceptionally well written.

Gods are dying and no one quite knows why, Athena and Hermes are trying to find out why. When they get a lead to follow, they're find themselves fighting against Hera and Poseidon who want to get to the lead before they do.  Cassandra is a normal teen in high school with some psychic tricks she does to make bets with other students. She has her devoted boyfriend, Aidan, her brother Henry and her best friend Andie.  Aidan has a secret, Cassandra's psychic ability is getting stronger and not in a good way.

I loved Cassandra, she was a strong, smart heroine who coped remarkably well when the two plots finally intertwined and Aidan's secret was revealed. The mythology side worked in was action packed, and I think I already mentioned more than a little gross.  I loved how the author took well known figures like Athena, Hermes, Circe and made them her own.  Gripping from start to finish. Really looking forward to the next one.

Crosses off a Square for my Bookish Bingo Summer challenge - Water on Cover