Meagan Spooner
Progress: 106/532 pages
More Than We Can Tell
Brigid Kemmerer
Progress: 72 %
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Henry Farrell
Progress: 44 %
To Kill a Kingdom
Alexandra Christo
Progress: 38 %
The Last Namsara
Kristen Ciccarelli
Progress: 200/432 pages
A Poison Dark and Drowning (Kingdom on Fire, Book Two)
Jessica Cluess
Jay Kristoff
Progress: 38 %

Review: Smokeless Fire

Smokeless Fire - Samantha Young

This was a freebee I picked up for Kindle. A reasonably okay paranormal romance featuring Jinns. The mythology was quite original, thought the characters were kind of bland. The plot was okay, Ari is just about to graduate high school, her friends all know what they want to go, what college they're going to (except BFF Charlie who has turned down a bad road due to a tragic death in his family).

Then at her birthday/graduation party Ari discovers a family secret and the truth about her heritage - she's a jinn. She's sent a guard to watch her. The plot was fairly good, though I wasn't too impressed with the characters. Ari was a little flat, she was clearly head over heels in love with BFF Charlie and is determined to pull him out of the cycle of drugs and drinking he has gotten himself into. While ignoring her other two BFFs and then acts all hurt when her other BFFs are mad she's ignoring them.

The love interest, (who's name I can't remember) was a typical paranormal romance bad boy. Hot, and damaged. Who swore he was only protecting Ari because he had to.

The mythology and world building around the jinns was pretty original and interesting, but the book's biggest problem was info dumping. Lots and lots of info dumping. Disguised as Ari being given a book on Jinn history, but still info dumping telling every little detail about how her world came to be. I skipped a lot of this.

While it wasn't the most gripping paranormal romance I have ever read, it was still quite a good read and I would recommend it to anyone for someone looking for a paranormal romance with a different magical creature.